Ginger and Ken drive to Alaska from Texas, through Wichita, Madison, Chicago, Corpus....

We decided to make a lifestyle change and move. Following are tales of our trips, packing mishaps, beautiful drives, visitations and more! This is Texas2Alaska2 because it is my second time to make the drive.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Now we entered the transition period


At the beginning of September, Ken and I made the official move to Wichita. I had been up two times previous with the trailer taking family items to store at my sister’s. The trailer would be fairly full with plastic containers labeled with their contents. I also brought my own shelves as these came from the original storage. I had come into possession of lots of family history when my mom and her father (grandfather) passed away within a month of each other. Yes there were lots of collectible items, old items, household things, but most of all there were lots of photos. I had always thought I would have these catalogued and shared with distant family. That may still happen, but at a later date. At this point, I am so glad my sister seems to be stable with a house with plenty of extra room to share. 
On the day of the ultimate move, it became apparent the remaining items of mine and Ken’s would not fit in the little 5 x 8. We enlisted my brother to help with his truck pulling a 6 x 10 enclosed UHaul trailer. This made all the difference and we were able to haul out of Austin with one more load. I rode with my brother and Ken drove the Lexus. The little Lexus had been a trooper pulling the trailer to and from Kansas. After all, its is a slow climb from 600 feet above sea level to just about 1000. This trip it too when with no problems the 10 hours and 550 miles asked of it. 
Our drive was on a perfect day, clear skies and no wind. I was thoroughly elated to cross that Red River. 

Below: me, sis Vic, baby Andy, brother Butch. Notice the art prints, she and daddy are A&P mechanics.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a memory of this place to share? Or, would you visit after ready my account?