Ginger and Ken drive to Alaska from Texas, through Wichita, Madison, Chicago, Corpus....

We decided to make a lifestyle change and move. Following are tales of our trips, packing mishaps, beautiful drives, visitations and more! This is Texas2Alaska2 because it is my second time to make the drive.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Heading into Denver


Our fist stop was planned for Denver, Colorado where we could purchase snow tires for the rig. I purchased the car in Austin, Texas and fat chance trying to find foul weather tires in central Texas. The original plan was to try and find them in Wichita, Kansas–being a state that experiences extremes in weather. Well, tires are expensive as we all know. Tires that have to be ordered are usually a bit more expensive. We were unable to find the tire of our choice without ordering it in Wichita. So, we looked ahead to the next possible source. 
We approached Denver as the sun was rising, it was a beautiful morning. I-70 turns in due west giving us a clear vista of the Colorado plains flowing up to the Rocky Mountains. The mountains had the first dusting of snow on the ridges which appeared close enough to touch due to the sparkling clear sky. The atmosphere was beautiful rich pink gradating to blue higher in the sky due to the low morning sun. It looked like a reverse sunset with the color to the west as opposed to east for sunrise. Seeing a sharp change in elevation was such a treat for us after living in the flatness of Kansas for our interim period. 


Denver, being a large city and in another state known for snow, had the tires we wanted. Ken researched the model most recommended and even referred to the testing of tires in Consumer Reports. Great resource for testing! http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm Ken is an avid fan. He arranged for purchase of the selected all weather Michelin tires from Costco. We scheduled installation for Friday the 4th and arrived when the store opened. Thanks dad for financing this purchase!
I know a lot of you are thinking one of two things: 1) wow, they are driving a Lexus, is it four wheel drive? or 2) wow, they are driving a Lexus, built-in GPS and seat heaters? The answer to 1 is, no, it is not four wheel drive and it is not necessary. Actually, the front wheel drive is better for our condition. As for number 2, no built in GPS, we are using a Magellen which does not always have the right answers, best route, and leads us to closed down businesses. Now on to my next winter purchase, sheep skin seat covers since no, my Lexus does not have heated seats. 
I figured that Colorado being a cold state and Denver being a big city, there should be a great selection of sheep skin seat covers. I had searched the internet and around Wichita of course. Again, this is an item that could have been ordered, however, we did not know how long we were going to stay in Wichita. No problem, I figured the more we drove north, the more opportunities I would have to find sheep skin. How lucky is this that in the first city we stop, there is a great custom sheep skin store that crafts seat covers, shoes, pelts, baby items and more. The Sheep Skin Factory was a wonderful find http://www.sheepskinfactory.com/index.cfm Not only did they have covers to fit my seats, but the Factory would custom install them too, WHILE I WAITED! How awesome this was. Installation in my car was not the easiest due to the electric seats but the task was done while Ken and I walked across the street to have lunch. I was so pleased with the fit and color and really great price. The covers where considerably less than prices online. With the additional complication of install, I was very happy! Before these, I was sitting on a beach towel because to me the leather seats are hot in the summer and cold in winter. Now my behind will be happy in the Alaska hinterlands!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a memory of this place to share? Or, would you visit after ready my account?